4.0 Post-Traumatic Stress: How to Get Help

How do you know if you have posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)? When should you consider getting help from a health care professional? This section answers these questions.

Take a self-assessment

If you’re concerned about experiences you’ve been having, consider taking the self-assessment for PTSD available on AfterDeployment. It’s anonymous, and provides results, recommendations for next steps including self-help materials and other resources.


Locate a Health Care Provider

If you’d like to find a health care professional such as a psychologist, psychiatrist, primary care physician, or other providers in your area, you can use the LOCATE feature on AfterDeployment.


Resources for PTSD

Military Crisis Line (800-273-8255 press 1 or text 838255) provides free 24 hour confidential support to service members and veterans.

Defense Centers of Excellence (DCoE) Outreach Center (866-966-1020) provides health resource consultants trained in psychological health and traumatic brain injury concerns. Contact the Outreach Center to receive customized information to address your specific concerns and get connected to programs and resources that can help you.

Military OneSource (800-342-9647)  provides confidential non-medical counseling specialty consultations and other services.

National Center for PTSD provides educational materials on post-traumatic stress and PTSD.